There’s no doubt about it - using medical software to run your clinic is essential in 2021.
A clinic management software can help you:
- Deliver the best possible service to your customers.
- Centralize all your clinic data.
- Run your clinic more efficiently.
Not all medical software tools are created equal, though. Some have more, and significantly better, features than others.
Which leads us to the question: what are the essential features of a medical clinic software in 2021?
In this article, we’re going to answer that question, starting with:
9 Must-Have Medical Software Features
#1. Online Booking
In 2021, online booking is an essential feature for any medical software.
Sometimes, receptionists are so busy that they simply don’t have the time to book appointments over the phone.
And even if that isn’t the case, online booking is simply something patients expect from your clinic these days.
That said, the right medical software should allow you to place a “Book Appointment” button on your clinic’s website, as well as let you manage bookings and appointments from the platform itself.
By implementing online booking for your clinic, you’re going to be able to:
- Attract new patients.
- Free up your receptionists.
- Track your performance. You can see where your bookings are coming from.
#2. Electronic Health Records
Electronic Health Records (EHR) are much more convenient and secure than physical records.
A 2016 survey by ONC found that 96% of all US hospitals use certified EHR technology.
So, unless you want your clinic to lag behind, your medical software should come with EHR features.
EHR lets you centralize all of your patients data in one place and access it online from any location.
It also comes with dozens of other advantages, including:
- Better care quality- Doctors can access patient data both faster and easier. Some EHR tools even help by analyzing patient data and proposing treatment options.
- Accurate patient information - Physical medical records can be misplaced, damaged, or accidently altered. EHR, however, keeps patient data safe on the cloud.
- Interoperability - EHR makes it easier for patients to switch providers or move their data around different treatment facilities.
- Improved security - Online data is much more secure than physical paper records.
#3. Billing and Financial Reporting
The medical software you end up picking should definitely have billing and financial reporting features.
You should be able to see information such as account balance or outstanding debt for any given patient in a handful of clicks.
The software should also allow for different access rights, giving financial and billing reporting access only to authorized staff.
Finally, it should allow integration with your preferred accounting software (e.g. Xero) to make the process of accounting much easier.
#4. Reporting and Analytics
The right medical software is also going to come with reporting and analytics features.
It’s essential for any clinic to be able to pull out important data, transform it into a report, and use it to assist its decision-making process.
You should, for example, be able to pull out data on how effective specific patient acquisition channels are.
Or understand which of your services are most popular with your patients, as well as profitable for your clinic.
Medesk comes with 40+ ready-made reporting templates that help you track your clinic’s performance. Head over to our reporting & analytics page to learn more!
According to data by Statista, the popularity of telehealth has been rising significantly since 2018, and it’s projected to grow even faster in the upcoming years.
Which makes sense. Telemedicine allows patients to:
- Get an online consultation when they can’t physically go to a clinic.
- Get in touch with a doctor over something minor (e.g. prescription renewal) without having to waste time going to the clinic.
- Avoid going outside during a pandemic.
As such, telemedicine is another essential feature for medical software.
The right medical software solution should have the option to:
- Book consultations via online portal.
- Secure calls with doctors through the platform.
- Integrate with payment providers.
#6. Stock & Inventory Management
Your medical software solution should allow you to manage all incoming goods, including medication and consumable items.
The right platform also allows you to:
- Generate stock reports with ease.
- Automatically write off products and consumables sold.
- Calculate costs and profitability of goods sold.
- Setup notifications for key staff members when stocks are low.
- Request new stock via an automated approval process.
#7. Medical CRM
Medical CRM functionalities are another essential feature for medical software and just as essential for your clinic’s marketing team.
In a nutshell, medical CRM allows you to track and log all patient interaction and data, including: personal and medical history, patient notes, preferences, as well as previous interactions with your clinic.
This allows you to:
- Discover trends among patients. E.g. Who's responding well to your marketing communication? What’s the average no-show rate? How do patients find your practice?
- Personalize communication. Your marketing team can send targeted SMS or email to specific audience segments.
- Improve patient retention. You can use the CRM feature to set up automated appointment reminders for your patients.
#8. Payroll Support
Cutting-edge practice management tools like Meesk allow for payroll tracking functionality.
The software keeps track of all the hours worked by your colleagues and gives you automatically generated reports on how much every team member is due.
It also allows you to set up a commission-based payments structure (if that’s something that your clinic does), to create bonus schemes for your employees, and more.
Learn more about Medesk’s payroll functionalities here.
#9. Cloud-Based Platform
Cloud-based software lets you manage your practice wherever you might be in the world.
Instead of having to head over to the clinic every time you want to check something, you’ll simply be able to log on to your Medesk platform through your PC or mobile, and check it on-the-go wherever you might be!
Try Medesk, the Leading Medical Software
Looking for a medical software solution that comes with all these features?
Well, look no further!
Medesk is an industry-leading practice management software with cutting-edge features:
- Customizable online booking platform.
- In-built medical CRM, giving your clinic’s marketing team the edge it needs.
- Simple reporting and analytics. Pull out all the data you need in the click of a button.
- Telemedicine capabilities. Enable online consultations with your clinic through the Medesk platform.
- Stock and inventory management. Keep track of your inventory through a single dashboard.
Want to give it a go? Head over here for a free trial.