Using an EHR system is essential for any mental health clinic in 2021.
An EHR system allows clinics to:
- Improve patient care.
- Access patient data from just about anywhere.
- Better coordinate with other healthcare providers.
In this article, we’re going to cover the 7 major benefits of EHR systems for mental health clinics.
What Is Mental Health EHR?
EHR, which is short for “electronic health records,” is a digitized version of physical clinical records.
Instead of having to deal with dozens of physical records for their patients, healthcare practitioners can simply input or retrieve patient information through EHR software.
That said, every EHR solution is different.
At the baseline, EHR systems allow you to digitize your paper records and keep track of patient care online (as opposed to dealing with paper records).
The very best EHR systems, though, also come with practice management capabilities. This means that, instead of simply allowing you to digitize your patient records, they also let you manage the administrative aspects of running a mental health clinic through that same software.
7 Mental Health EHR Benefits
There are 7 major benefits of using an EHR system for your mental health clinic. Let us walk you through them.
#1. Care Coordination
Mental health EHR systems make it easier to collaborate with other healthcare providers.
Whenever a patient visits their GP or any other healthcare provider, they can access and modify their records online.
This helps different treatment providers stay updated on patient treatment.
#2. Improved Prescribing
EHR tools can help mental health practitioners prescribe the right medicine.
Based on patients’ diagnosis, the software can pull out data from the eMC and suggest potential prescription options.
This simplifies the process of prescribing medication and, at the same time, helps mental health practitioners stay up to date with the type of medication available for any given condition.
#3. Better Medication Management
Using mental health EHR software, healthcare professionals can keep track of patient medication prescriptions in real time.
This helps prevent double doctoring, as well as minimizes the risk of prescription errors.
#4. Data Accessibility
Electronic health records are accessible from just about anywhere.
In certain situations, medical healthcare practitioners might have to pull out patient data at a moment’s notice.
Having the data readily available online via EHR helps mental health professionals respond to emergencies at any moment.
#5. Improved Clinic Efficiency
EHR solutions allow your clinic to focus on the one thing that really matters: providing excellent patient care.
By using a mental health EHR tool, you can:
- Digitize (and simplify) patient intake via online forms.
- Keep better track of invoices and patient billing information.
- Pull out relevant data from the software in a single click (as opposed to spending hours going through different Excel sheets).
#6. Improved Security
Physical records are simply not that secure.
They can be lost, misplaced, accidentally destroyed, altered, and so on.
Using a mental health EHR solution, though, allows you to protect patient records from any kind of incident. The patient records are stored on the cloud behind a login-based access system.
This means that only qualified healthcare professionals who have access can view and edit patient data.
The best mental health EHR system providers like Medesk provide an extra service by:
- Encrypting your patient data.
- Reserving copies of patient data for backup.
- Allowing you to give different access privileges to different staff members.
#7. Better Clinic Management
As we previously mentioned, the best EHR solutions also come with practice management capabilities.
Meaning, you can use the software to manage all administrational aspects of running a mental health clinic, including:
- Managing and scheduling appointments online through a patient portal.
- Conducting online consultations with patients through the platform.
- Managing prescription medicine inventory.
- Centralizing all communication with patients in a single tool via medical CRM functionalities.
- Managing clinic staff payroll.
And so much more.
Want to learn more about practice management tools? Check out our article on the best medical software features.
Try Medesk - The Leading Mental Health EHR System
There are numerous mental health EHR solutions on the market, so which one should you go for?
Try Medesk, the industry-leading mental health EHR solution!
Medesk is a mix of EHR and practice management software. So, instead of just the barebone basics (storing patient data online), it also allows your clinic to:
- Set up an online patient portal to manage your appointments.
- Conduct online consultations with your patients through a single platform.
- Streamline all your patient communication in a single medical CRM.
- Pull out in-depth reports in a single click.
- Manage your inventory, payroll, and more.
But don’t just take our word for it - we’ve won several awards from Capterra for being one of the best mental health EHR solutions in the world!
Want to give it a go? Sign up for a free trial here.